Sunday, July 20, 2014

I'm A Yoga Drop-Out

This week I worked out five days.  Back to my normal number of days working out.

Sunday and Wednesday were the days that I worked out with Sarah.  You can read that post here.

I had Pilates on Tuesday and I had another freak out during the short spine series.  I felt like I was going to flip over again.  It was kind of funny though.  The class was tough but enjoyable with my homies, Linda and Maureen.  Thursday was Jumpboard Pilates.  I was kind of dreading it because I was so beat from all of my other workouts.  I was afraid of how much pain I would be in on Friday.  I was very sore for class, but I soldiered on.  I survived and I actually wasn't that sore on Friday.

Next week, Jumpboard will be at 8 pm instead of the normal 6 pm because Cassie is closing on her new house.  Also, Sarah is going to take the class.  I am so excited.  I think she's kind of clueless about what jumpboard is all about, so I can't wait for her to experience it.  I'm sure she'll love it.

Monday and Friday were my rest days.  Friday after work, I went to Labcorp to have blood drawn for my Food Allergy Panel test.  I am so excited to get the results and finally figure out what is going on inside my body.

Saturday I went to Rickita's 945 Hot Vinyasa Flow class.  I enjoy practicing yoga at least once a week and I adore Rickita as a teacher and a person.  However, since Lifetime has decided to adopt the Jonny Kest method of yoga, I am finding myself discouraged and losing my love for yoga.  It has just become too confusing and very anti-beginner.  I swear if someone who had never taken a yoga class before came into a Lifetime Fitness yoga class, they would never come back.  Is that really what Lifetime wants?

I used to enjoy yoga class from beginning to end and couldn't wait to take my next class.  Now, I spend the hour on my mat frustrated, angry, and confused.  That's not what yoga is about.  The quality of the instruction has gone down hill.  I have been doing yoga for almost a year and this new way of teaching has me utterly confused.  I feel like you're expected to know poses at the snap of a finger  and the flows are just so convoluted.  

Seriously, during this class on Saturday, I just sat during the entire third flow because it was so confusing and way too crazy to expecting someone to memorize it and flow on their own.  In one word, it's BULLSHIT.

Two people walked out.  I left early partially because I had a meeting with Tony, the dietitian, but I honestly felt rage.  They should rename the class to Hot Homicidal Flow.  And I'm not the only one that's complaining.  Linda from my Pilates class doesn't like it either and she's going to classes in Commerce that are less Jonny Kest centric.  

So, I think my days of Lifetime Yoga are over and it makes me sad.  I love all of the classes that Lifetime has and am Lifetime's Number One Cheerleader, but they made a HUGE mistake when they changed the yoga program.  I'm highly disappointed.  





1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear this, Vern! Hope you can find something as good or better to take its place.

    ReplyDelete