Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pilates/Pie and Lattes


It's Tuesday and for me that's Pilates day for me at Lifetime.  I first started taking Pilates classes about 12 years ago when I lived Downriver.  At that time, I was sporadically using my Bally's membership that I got in 1996 when I lived in Chicago.  Follow me?  Okay.

So, during my meeting in May with Greg, I mentioned that I liked Pilates.  Well, I love Pilates actually but it seems like it's hard to find.  I was much bigger in May than 12 years ago and Pilates isn't for wimps.  All I had ever done was mat classes, never ever had I been on a Reformer, but I REALLY wanted to try one.  Greg told me to come to the Saturday class at noon and Cassie would help me out.  Okay.



I was so excited!  I hadn't done Pilates in years.  I couldn't wait for Saturday!!!

Finally Saturday arrived and I went to the  Pilates studio.  Unfortunately there were too many of us to do a Reformer class because Greg kinda forgot to tell Cassie I was coming to check it out.  Oops.  But it was a nice sunny Spring Saturday in Michigan, so we went outside and did a mat class, which is what I was used to anyway.

I loved it!  I didn't realize how much I missed doing Pilates.  I was so happy to be doing it again.  And I think I did pretty good, all things considered.

After class, I spoke with Cassie to talk about what I should do.  I really wanted to take Pilates again and thankfully I was able to do it. I signed up for two private sessions to get acclimated to the Reformer and then I would start attending the Tuesday 7 pm class that started in early June.  

Since June, I have been faithfully attending that class.  I just adore Cassie.  She is an awesome instructor.  And I love the ladies in my class, Linda and Maureen.  We have about as much fun as you can have in Pilates and still work your butt off.  I LOVE waking up on Wednesday mornings and feeling my core aching from class the night before.

Also, I feel like I've come a long way since that first class.  My range of motion on some of the exercises we do has vastly improved.   My abs look pretty decent so far.  I think Pilates has helped me stay firm and avoid the dreaded flab that sometimes accompanies weight loss.  

So, my Pilates goal for 2014 is to continue with my class and possibly add on a second day a week.  

I'm really thankful that I can do this and that I got back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment