Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My First Boxing Class

Today I used the first fitness Groupon I have ever purchased.  It was for two weeks of unlimited classes at TITLE Boxing Club.  TITLE is a chain in many states and they are growing fast in Michigan with new clubs coming to Novi, Livonia, and Canton in the near future.  I went to the location in Farmington Hills, which is just up on Haggerty a few miles from me.

I was a little nervous, but there were three other newbies there.  We all worked out close to each other so that the instructor could  help us more easily.  Everyone there was really friendly and helpful.  The club was very clean and I loved the set up.  There is no front or back section where the punching bags are.  Just plant yourself in front of a punching bag and class starts.  I was given wrist wraps and a pair of gloves.  The gloves were just for borrowing, but the wraps are mine.  I got rainbow striped which is great because I do love my gays.

The set up is like this picture I found on tumblr.com


The class consists of a 15 minute warm up, then 8 3-minute boxing rounds with a minute between rounds of active recovery, and then a 15 minute core workout to finish the class.  Big props to Sarah for getting me prepared to handle a workout like that and survive.  I handled it quite well and I was proud of myself.   (I did drink my Generation UCan before class).

I absolutely LOVED the boxing portion.  I didn't hurt my hands, they felt very protected.  My only issue was my footing.  You have to be light on your toes and not be on your heels.  I admit I was nervous with the moves, but I think I loosened up a bit and really got into it.

The Core workout at the end of class was a killer!!  Holy crap!  My lower abs were feeling it.  None of the exercises in the core section were impossible, just challenging and definitely made my abs burn.  And we did Russians, which I LOATH!!!!  I modified one of the exercises with some leg raises we've done in Pilates.

I just :LOVED this class.  I can't wait to go back.  I'm debating joining or not since I already do spend a lot at Lifetime with PT and Pilates.  TITLE isn't very expensive, but when you consider everything else I'm doing it is.  I so enjoyed myself and I wasn't on my deathbed leaving.  I was sweaty and challenged.  The only downside I would say is the smell of my hands from being in the boxing gloves.  It reminded me of driving my cousin home from football practice....all the sweat in those gross football pads.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED TITLE Boxing Club.  I'm going back on Thursday.

This isn't me.....yet.  LOL

2 comments:

  1. I’m glad that you considered attending a boxing class. It’s definitely a fun experience! Anyway, if you’re having a hard time dealing with your footing, you can enhance it by adding a few sets of jump ropes into your exercise routine. It is really effective because it helps sync the movement of your feet, and it's not a bad way to work up a sweat. Good luck!

    Barbara Cales @ Legends Boxing Gym

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Barbara! I appreciate it!! :)

      Delete